Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Where The Place Called Morning Lies


Today was supposed to be a nice triumphant day of little victories. Mainly, I was supposed to apply for my first ever job. Supposed to. Lately, I've been feeling worried about the future. I was thinking that it would be nice to have some money saved up for when I want to get an apartment after college. I've been so worried about Zak since he's been feeling worse and worse. I can't wait for the day we'll be able to get a tiny apartment of our own, but his sickness is preventing him from getting all of his class work done, and getting a job is out of the question at the moment. So here's where today comes in. I decided I was going to apply for a sales associate position at Victoria's Secret. Do I feel a little awkward selling people sexy under garments, yes. But, I figured that it was a seasonal position, and I could put aside my feelings about suggesting lingerie to people for a while. When I got to the store and waited on line to hand in my application, I just got so doubtful. In my abilities to master tasks, be personable, fit in, manage my time. The list goes on. And out I went, trying not to cry until I got past the sheer panties. Maybe I'm not ready for a job yet. Maybe I'm too hard on myself. These are things I have to figure out, but not yet. And now, content and full of Domino's pizza, I'm thinking that pushing myself into an immediate decision out of fear and worry is not the way to go. I'm hoping I'll figure these things out in time.

As for today's outfit, since I got home all in a huff over the events of the day, I almost didn't take any photos. But, I really liked my outfit today so I put on a smile and posed. That made me feel better too, actually. That and the pizza. This dress is one I found at the Salvation Army a while ago. The waist fits me perfectly, which is kind of ridiculous to me. Since blue and yellow have been one of my favorite combinations since the summer, I easily opted for my mustard cardigan. It's funny. I feel like yesterday I looked like I was going to a Nirvana show 15 years ago, and now I look like I'm on my way to my elite prep school. Oh well, as long as I dress in a way that makes me happy, right? Oh, and thanks so much for your feedback on my poem. It makes me so happy to know I can share these things with you guys. Your comments and support always make me so happy :)

Dress: Salvation Army
Sweater, Trench: H&M
Tights: Generic
Shoes: Steve Madden
Belt: Target





Until tomorrow,
Nicole

13 comments:

  1. You are always the best at concocting a beautiful color palette. I just love everything about this outfit:) Sorry about Zak - I hope he starts feeling better soon:) xx Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors and the plaid! It's definitely really preppy, but it fits so well. And don't worry about the whole job thing! You'll do fine. Don't be too hard on yourself. The main priority in your life right now (and forever, basically) is to be happy. If you're not happy, what's the use of doing what's making you unhappy? You'll find the perfect job, I'm sure!

    ♥ Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dominos pizza is the best way to end a day : ) At least you have a job! And you look super cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, love the colours :) don't worry, I'm sure you'll eventually find a job that you love and will be able to find an apartment! How exciting :)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a cute dress! and don't worry about the job thing and handling all the other aspects of your life. i had a job during college and worked anywhere from 15-35 hours a week while going to school full time and trying to have a social life. i look back on it now and wonder how i did it, but you find ways... and if there's any moment in your life when you're capable of doing it, it's definitely when you're in college!

    oh, and the key to being able to afford an apartment is to start buying the little things (like kitchen utensils and cleaning stuff) now and stashing them away. because believe me, it doesn't seem like you'll need alot, but once you get the first apartment, you'll realize all this stuff that you need and don't have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. darling, as usual! i love the colors.

    i'm thinking of finding a job soon too...eeps, goodluck to the both of us!

    xx elanor

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way you've cocked your feet in each of these photos - adorable. And I definitely agree with everyone that this color combo is fantastic! I feel you on the job, I could NOT do the pushy sales thing at VS. GOOD LUCK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i totally agree with you on the job front.
    i got offered a seasonal job at bath and body works for the christmas season..but i think i am going to turn it down..i could always use the extra money (i have a stay at home job..thank goodness)
    but i just cant handle people and all the stress of people shopping during this season.

    i love al the colors in this outfit. the yellow is a wonderful pop of color.
    you look wonderful love.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fabulous outfit! I just love the colors and the plaid! Super cute! That's frustrating about the job! I'm sure it will all work out though! I've DEFINITELY turned down jobs that had elements that were unpleasant or that had aspects I was uncomfortable with, and there's nothing wrong with that! I'm sure you'll find something better anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oehh, I like your shoes (:
    Will you please check my blog ?
    www.coconutfashion.blogspot.com
    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!