Monday, November 8, 2010

All That We See Or Seem Is But A Dream Within A Dream


On Saturday my parents, Zak and I headed into Manhattan to see a play called Nevermore: The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe at the New Victory Theatre. Anyone who knows me knows that I love literature and Poe is one of those authors I'm drawn to and plan to read more of. His entire works are sitting on my bookshelf barely touched, but I've made a promise to myself to try to get through them during Winter break. The play was really wonderful. The acting and the music were great, but the story itself was so upsetting. I knew Poe had a tough life, but this play showed me just how tough it was. It really put me in a bit of a slump thinking about it after the play ended. I tend to get very emotionally attached to certain situations and people. I can't help it, it's just how I am. So, this play affected me and made me do a whole lot of thinking, but I think the best plays do that to a viewer. The show is traveling and just ended its run in NYC, so if it comes to a town near you I highly highly recommend it.

After the play we got a yummy dinner at Rachel's in Hell's Kitchen, which I also recommend if you're ever in the area. It has really yummy comfort food! As for my outfit, I really wish I got better pictures of it. When I was leaving the house, it was way sunny, so I got one decent photo before calling it quits, saying I would take more down town. Turns out, surprise surprise, that Manhattan is perpetually crowded. There were people walking into my shots, people passing by me, people everywhere! So I only got a few, but I hope you get the point because I really liked the outfit. I got this hat for my birthday, and I'm so excited to wear it more! I also felt that my hat and top were pretty Poe-appropriate, which made it even better.

Skirt, Trench: H&M, Top: Vintage, Tights: Macy's, Boots: Urban Outfitters, Hat: Modcloth






Until tomorrow,
Nicole

10 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like a great play! I'd love to see it.
    & That hat looks adorable on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look absolutely perfect-- especially for a play about Poe.

    "And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor."
    God, I love Poe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That hat is so cute on you! Can't wait to see you style it more often :) I have been dying to see a play for so long! I haven't seen one since high school! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love poe.
    very jealous.
    the pink look beautiful on you.
    your bday weekend looked wonderful.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cute hat! And I absolutely love Poe! ♥ You're so lucky you got to see it. I should make it a point to go visit it before it leaves New York! You look like you had a lovely day with your family. I love your entire outfit! The girly pink blouse with the more rugged denim skirt and boots and then the quirkiness of the tights and hat. I think this is one of my favorite outfits of you so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that hat is so cute!! and i love your tights and boots so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so in love with that blouse, it's beautiful! Glad you braved the throngs of people for these photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love your blouse,what a lovely outfit! <3<3

    Selvi ♥
    http://selviorselfish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heya, just found your blog, your style is awsome, love this blouse & hat, very Poe appropriate!

    Voni x
    check me out - colourless-colour-vw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE that hat!! Bummer that the play was a bit of downer! Otherwise it sounds like a pretty fun trip!! But you looked fabulous! I love those tights and the color of that top too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!