Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So Very Thankful


Hello there everyone! I actually wrote up this little post last night, as I'll probably be off baking way too many pumpkin desserts for six people when this gets posted! There are two reasons I love Thanksgiving. One is pumpkin. Pumpkin is probably my favorite flavor everything (at least desert wise) and there is so much pumpkin to be found on Thanksgiving! The other reason would have to be the opportunity to reflect on all of the wonderful people and experiences I've had in my life during the past year. I decided that I wanted to make a list of everything and everyone I'm thankful for in this post. I like the idea of having this list of wonderful blessings that I can look back on every now and then when I'm in a sour-puss mood, so I can immediately realize that things aren't as bad as I think :)

So, here goes nothing!

What I'm Thankful For

-My mother, for a million reasons. For putting up with my cowardice and self-doubt, for taking me to the Salvation Army even though she thinks it's dirty, for picking me up from school when it's thunder storming, for making me giggle when she's acting silly, for making me dinner, for telling me that she loves me even when I'm difficult (which is often). She does everything for me, and for everyone else. She is the most self-less person I know, and I'm honored to have her as my mom.
-Zak. I don't even know where to begin. He's not only my boyfriend, but genuinely my best friend. I've felt at so many points in my life so different from everyone. Even with friends, I hardly feel like I ever truly fit with anyone. Then came Zak. He is my perfect fit. He is self-less, and kind, and so so strong. He's been sick for as long as I've known him, but he's always there to make me happy, make me laugh, make me smile. I would love to be as good of a girlfriend to him as he is a boyfriend to me. He is the most wonderful person.
-My sister, Cheryl, for being so different but so similar to me. We share a personality. Whenever I get concerned that I'm acting too much like a six year old, I look at her making silly noises and faces at her husbands and I'm immediately reassured. She is so driven, and so sweet, all at once. I'll miss her when she's in California this Thanksgiving, but I feel so spoiled to be having her home for Christmas!
-My brother, Anthony. When I found out he reads my blog, I almost cried (maybe I did, just a little). He moved to California last year, and when he left, I immediately regretted not spending more time with him. I'm so thankful to have him in my life as an example that you can really do what you want, and follow your dreams. People can tell you what they think you should do, but you don't have to do it. You can do what you, however you want to, and be one hundred percent happy. I admire his courage in picking up and moving across the country, and I hope to join him over there some day.
-Charlotte, for being my closest friend. She is one of the nicest, most self-less people I know. She tells me that she values my friendship, and every time she does I well up because I've had so much trouble with friends this year.
-Lori Ziesel, my second mother, for being a second mother. Seriously. She is supportive, and sweet, and an inspiration.
-Matt and Josh, for always being my little brothers.
-Poetry, for constantly pushing me, driving me crazy, making me feel so fulfilled, making me feel whole, and making me feel albeit rarely that I'm doing something right
-Harry Potter, for being absolutely wonderful.
-Cupcakes, for being so delicious. I hope I follow through on my literary themed bake shop some day. I really do.
-Bill Shullenberger, my literature professor, for listening to me talk about my life for half an hour when I am supposed to be talking to him about my final project, for being so nice and kind that it's hard to believe he's real, and for making me laugh and thinking I'm smart.
-My philosophy teacher, for giving me an amount of wisdom to aspire to and for making me think like I've never thought before, even though it drives me crazy quite often.
-My poetry professor, for being encouraging and telling me that I can write poetry.
-My three favorite high school teachers who STILL encourage me, though it's been a year and a half since I left, who still support me, and who still believe in me. They are so much of the reason I am what I am and where I am today.
-My weight loss, though I never would have accomplished it without my mother constantly telling me that I don't REALLY want cupcakes or fried chicken or macaroni and cheese (I always did actually want them). It's nice to be thirty two pounds lighter.
-This blog and the wonderful people I've met through it. When I started this blog, I deleted it the same night just because I thought I couldn't do it. I remade it the next day, and am still going at it. The best part, though, is you all. You are so supportive and so genuinely nice that I can't imagine not having kept my blog going.
-My career counselor for making assuring me that I'm not as behind as I thought I was.
-My bunny rabbit for being so damn adorable, weird, and hungry.
-Paulo Coelho and his novels for changing my perspective.
-My college, and that I stuck with it instead of running away.
-Dead Poet's Society and Singing In the Rain
-Cozy sweaters and blankets on cold days and nights.
-Every stranger who's smiled at me, held a door open for me, or looked out for me in any way when they didn't even know me. I hope to be like them every day.

I'm sure I'm missing one million obvious things, but this is a list of some things and people that mean the most to me, that make me happy, that keep me going. What are you all thankful for? :)

Dress: Salvation Army
Tights: Hue
Belt: Target
Boots: Urban Outfitters
Hair Clip: DIY





I hope you all have a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving!
Until tomorrow,
Nicole

13 comments:

  1. i love this!!! ...i love everything. xD from the hairclip to the boots. the colors are so darling. and that dress is such a great find. salvation army! -___- i need to go thrifting way more.

    your list made me go 'awww'... i hardly ever make thanksgiving "i'm thankful for" lists because i hardly ever have time to just sit down and..be thankful. but quick ones at the top of my head - for being alive, and for being loved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your list - its making me think of all the little things (like cupcakes) that I forget to be thankful for.

    And I'm so glad I've met you through blogging! You are truly one of my favorites : ) Have a great Thanksgiving dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving dear <3 I am in love with this outfit--especially that hair accessory! I have been looking for a leaf hair accessory for quite a while now and this only reaffirms my want for one! Make me one? hehe :) Love the red and the yellow together! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and good luck shopping tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy thanksgiving love.
    i am thankful for you and your wonderful blog! <3
    you look beautiful as always..i love the red and yellow together. :)
    perfect for turkey day!!
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is so sweet. Giving thanks is one of the most mood-lightening, happy things to do in life. And your outfit is so warm and thanksgiving-y! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful post!! Thank you for sharing this!! And I hope you've had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your loved ones! Your outfit is simple great too!! I love the colors! (Oh, and Dead Poet's Society is a great movie!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eek! I literally squealed when I saw this outfit. It's SO ADORABLE and looks like the most fun Thanksgiving outfit possible.

    What a great post :) I'm thankful you kept up with this delightful blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow! this dress suits/fits you perfectly! can´t stop looking at these amazing shots!
    check out mym blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful list. I love your dress...and with those yellow tights it is perfection:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure have a lot to be thankful for, that is great!!

    I love the color bold colors of your outfit and how you accented with brown. It looks awesome. :)
    I'm still afraid of yellow tights, but maybe one day I'll take the plunge. You pull them off like second skin. haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post :) Very adorable dress and tights. I am in love with mustard tights, and I have a feeling I'm going to wear out the pair I just bought..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like these colours together! You look just like a bright fall day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!