Thursday, November 11, 2010

What A Funky Lady


I know that the lighting is a little weird in these photos, as in my face is semi-illuminated, but it's mainly because today was my first day of snapping morning photos (hooray!) so I need to get used to how the lighting is in my usual photo spots in the early morning. I know I've kind of been bringing this up all week, but it feels a little bit like I'm dressing a different person every morning. I mean, clearly I like all of these outfits or I wouldn't be wearing them at all, but this week every outfit I put together feels so distinct, and it's making me feel a little weird. I mean, it probably has to do with the contents of my closet, which are a smattering of various strong phases in my life. First there was the "guidette phase" in grammar school (I'd rather not go into the details, such as my velour track suit and bang-poof), then there was the gothic punk phase (Green Day tee shirts, cargo pants, and smeary eyeliner), then the band-groupie scenester phase (skinny jeans, thank goodness, and girly band tees). Then I started to ease my way into what I called "girly shirts". It's really funny to think about how appalled I was at wearing a lacy polka dot shirt, considering the way I dress now.

That turned into a really girly phase eventually, which coincided with my interest in fashion blogging and putting outfits together. Now, though, I feel like I'm kind of into a vintage, girly but not overly so, roughish-mensweary, victorian phase. Clearly, the most straight forward of any of my phases.. My closet, though, is still catching up with me, though. I don't want to buy a whole mess of new clothes, so I'm trying to make what I have work for me, but it kind of leads to a lot of exploring through my outfits, and a lot of different looks. I think everything I put on is "me" persay, because how couldn't it be if I put it together and like wearing it, but part of me wants a coherent style where all the aspects I described a few sentences ago can happily mingle in cute outfit-ness.

Well, that turned into a large style ramble, so I'll keep my outfit description short. I really like this dress because it kind of makes me feel like a flight attendant thirty years ago, and I think that's cool. This reindeer sweater doesn't get a whole ton of wear because it's kind of sheddy and furry (like reindeer?) but I like the weird touch it adds to an outfit, and this morning I felt like being a little kooky. Apparently kooky is a dictionary word. Sheddy, however, is not.

Dress: Salvation Army
Sweater: H&M
Tights: Hue
Shoes: Mom's






Until tomorrow,
Nicole

18 comments:

  1. I really love your sweater. I bought mustard tights the other day!!! It was semi-inspired by you :) I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the dress, love the sweater, love the tights!! i would never have thought to pair them together but it totally works :) your style seems to have evolved pretty steadily with the changing times! mine was more like a general flailing about (but then i lived the first half of my life in my cousins' handmedowns)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoyed hearing about your fashion past. I went through phases like that too..included the strange scene phase that it seemed everyone went through...hmmm... it's amazing how we've changed to what we are now.

    i really like this dress, it does remind me of a flight attendant! adorable!

    xx elanor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your dress.

    Also weirdly enough, I haven't gone through any phases.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hhaha i think just about everyone went through "phases", i certainly know i did. (thank god i don't have any photos from the "emo wannabe" phase...that was the worst.)

    and i love that dress! could i steal it? blue always looks really great with the hint of mustard yellow for some reason. yeah, im crazy for mustard, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute color of the tights! and yes, I've been through my fair share of phases :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a beautiful outfit! I'm seriously loving the contrast between the yellow and blue. <3 You look so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have been through so many phases it horrible.
    but i think at 27..i have finally found my style..thank goodness. :)
    you look beautiful and those tights are wonderful..i love mustard.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this outfit!! The dress is super cute and the sweater is super cute, and those tights are just perfect!! Hah, I wouldn't even know what to exactly call my style, or reflecting on it, now the style phases I would have gone through if I could have! And I totally think sheddy should be a dictionary word! Its a good word! And I totally enjoyed the style ramble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. no YOU'RE great!

    Dude, have I told you how much my heart swoons for primary blue + yellow? I looove this combo so much but those reindeer take the cake. Hey and welcome to the morning photo shoot club!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're lucky to be able to pull off so many looks! I have been criticized to being a one-trick pony, but others say that I have just found my style. I like how you have different looks--it's inspiring and it keeps things interesting hehe :) Love that sweater! It'll be so wonderful for the holidays in December!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh goodness, I was the queen of phases. It's embarrassing to think about - punk, skater, preppy...you name it. I just love everything about this outfit. The combo of the yellow tights against the blue dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh.my.goodness. i am DYING over that sweater!!!! is it recently from H&M? SO CUTE! glad i found your blog through the upside of wonder :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE this look. It's fun to recreate your old clothing to work better with your evolving style.

    jenniwells.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your originality
    visit me: http://madisonsassortment.blogspot.com/
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the yellow and the blue together, the cardigan is so cute too. I love yellow tights, but I don't think I'd have the confidence to wear them!

    http://spiralstaticfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the bold colours and the deer cardi is just adorable! Great outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am obsessed with your yellow tights! So bold. =]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!