Thursday, March 17, 2011

We Get To Carry Each Other

IMG_5824edit


Hello there. Well, I've been a bit anxious about today's post. No, it's not because I'm afraid you'll judge me and my denim vest. Rather, it's a bit more on the serious side today. I've been reading posts all week about "a blogger's place" when it comes to terrible real life situations, like the destruction in Japan. I've never thought that my "place" as a blogger was anything more than that. I have a responsibility to be corteous and caring to my fellow bloggers and to post honest content. I often try to keep this space an uplifting, fun one. Maybe that's silly of me, though. If my lack of mentioning Japan in my posts is indicative of my state of mind, then I should be mentioning it every day. The main thing I've had on my mind all week is Japan, as well as those who died in a terrifying bus crash on the side of a highway I drive nearly weekly. I was upset to hear that bloggers were being called out for a lack of action. But, a lack of action does not mean a lack of thought, or a lack of care. Like I said before, I try to keep my blog from being too personal, because when I go "too far," I get worried that I'm upsetting people or making them uncomfortable. And there was no impersonal way for me to talk about the tragedies I've had on my mind all week.

I've decided, though, that I have a voice, so I should use it. I have a blog, so I should express myself through it. I'm not going to tell you that you all should donate money to the Red Cross. But I am going to say that a kind thought can do wonders. The morning I learned about the earthquake, I thought to myself, well, it would be such a comfort to know people across the world were thinking and worrying about me, and my well being. You're all wonderful people, so I'm sure you've all done this already. Honestly, though, this is not me trying to nag anybody to do anything. It is, like all of my posts, an attempt to work through my feelings and thoughts. I have a hard time detaching myself. I know it's not good to be consumed with sadness over everything that's going on in the world, but this week, it's been so difficult not to. And if I stop feeling upset, I feel guilty. About how good my life is, about how many things are going wrong to people more deserving of good than I am. So, I thank you for bearing with me as I try to write out my feelings, and I hope this comes across as more than a jumbled mess.

Dress: Zara
Vest: Goodwill
Tights: Hue
Shoes: Mom's
Necklace: Gift

IMG_5826edit

IMG_5830edit


Until Tomorrow,
Nicole

15 comments:

  1. Great post! I totally agree with you about keeping things in high spirits and having more happy blogs, but that doesn't mean that we forgot about such a terrible tragedy. My heart goes out to all in Japan and those who have family and friends there. <3

    On a brighter note, your tights are awesome. I will always be a huge fan of mustard tights, which is why I wore them in my first post! The color looks great with the floral dress and denim vest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you shared! And I hope you don't think I was being critical of bloggers... although there are some who do annoy me by being relentlessly vapid. (Not generally bloggers I speak to much though). It certainly is very sad about Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is SO cute! I love it. I would wear it in a heartbeat. I love the vest and tights, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful post nicole.
    i have thought about this same thing ab posting in my blog.
    but i wasnt sure what to do. my heart has been hurting for the people of japan since it has happened. it's just so heartbreaking.
    i have done what i can to help..and i hope other people will do the same.
    but in the end i opted out of putting it on my blog.
    but they and other tragedies around the world are in my thoughts constantly.
    xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. You tell them!! My heart has been overflowing with pain for Japan too. My husband and I check newslinks constantly because this can happen again. There are about 600 fuel rods that are still in tact and could explode (that's what caused the explosion to create all of this earthquake/tsunami issue apparently) .. if that happens it could be like Chernobyl on steroids.

    You look adorable by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't mind a blog sharing their thoughts on other things. I'm glad you shared yours. I think everyone is trying to sort out their feelings with what happened. Not everyone can afford to donate, and I think like you said acknowledging it is great. While I did donate, it wasn't a lot of money. I can only do so much. I just hope the people there can start to heal, and that the problems with the nuclear power plant are over.
    My Heart Blogged

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally understand that. and i don't mind blogs getting personal sometimes.
    it's hard to know what to do in a situation like this. but i'm glad you said something <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we can all assume that Japan has been on everyone's mind these last days, and that our thoughts are with them.
    Lovely post; you wrote this all very well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. a sweet and sincere mess :) and now I have sent a piece of my genuine heart to help a shattered Japan. a kind thought sends great positivity out to our world in much need of it. for a mess you clean up well ;) wonderful writing and sweeet style, really diggin this vest, florals and mustard yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such kind heart. It really is hard to believe all of these natural disasters that are happening. It almost feels like they're happening more and more frequently. Don't worry about getting too personal about your blog. After all, it is your blog and you should choose how personal to get with your readers.

    Lovely posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the floral dress with the vest! You look so cute :)

    I honestly think that most people will get more and better information from news sources than most blogs. I feel that people should take action instead of just spreading awareness. Donate blood, clothing, money if you have it. Retweet or post places to go to help. That being said, I respect you taking the time to express how you feel because you wanted to. Not because someone told you too. There is nothing wrong with taking the time to express your concern, there is something wrong with people guilting others to do so, why waste the energy on that? There are more productive things to be done.

    Great post, I think you opened a lot of eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a really nice outfit, like it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this was such a great post!! My heart truly goes out to everyone in Japan, it really is heartbreaking what happened. I didn't blog or post about it but that doesn't mean it isn't my mind or thoughts. Anyways I really love your denim vest and those tights are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wrote a "PS" about Japan in my blog, though it surely doesn't resume all my thoughts and feelings about it and I also don't think that blogs that didn't even mentioned it are written by bad people or insensitive ones... I truly related to what you wrote here Nicole.

    Aw I honestly need to get a pair of yellow tights! You look amazing in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i totally understand what you mean, it seems that if bloggers touch on their personal life, or thoughts, people feel uncomfortable, but if they don't people get uncomfortable too. it's really hard to find a balance, i think.

    love your outfit! you always look so stylish! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!