Friday, April 27, 2012

Odysseus

DSC_0363
It's no secret that I love The Odyssey. Well, I certainly don't mean it to be a secret anyway. The first time I read it, I hated it. Hate. The second time I read it, I thought it had, at most, several redeeming qualities (Odysseus is, undeniably, an awful but lovable scamp. The third time I read it, though, I just lost it, or rather, lost myself in all of Odysseus' journeys. Every sassy comeback Odysseus yelled, every moment of strength Penelope exhibited, every mention of "wine blue water" and "dawn with her rosy fingers," was beautiful in a way it never had been to me before. When I was at the Brooklyn Flea a few months ago, I was able to pick up a new translation of the epic that I plan to read this summer. There's no denying that Odysseus has his problems. He probably has more problems than the average bear, even. But I like the idea that we're all sort of on our own Odyssey - moments of pride that get us in trouble, our curiosity leading us to exciting - sometimes worrisome - places, coming home but having to leave what we know behind again. Something about this dress just makes me think of The Odyssey. It's probably that the pattern reminds me of ancient urns, and the curves also make me think of waves lapping on the shore. So, despite the wild (or, considering The Odyssey, wildly APPROPRIATE) winds, I wanted to take some photos by the water. I think I might have even seen Odysseus' ship bobbing out at sea.
Dress:Asos, Tights: Macy's, Shoes: Korks by Kork Ease, Jacket: Salvation Army DSC_0397 DSC_0359 DSC_0371 DSC_0409 DSC_0400 DSC_0406
(I wasn't kidding about the wind) DSC_0383 DSC_0388
Until tomorrow,
Nicole

11 comments:

  1. Your legs look killer in these tights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love photos by the water, I don't know what it is about them, but they are always so pretty! These are no exception! :) And I can totally see why this dress reminds you of The Odyssey! It's a darling dress, no doubt. <3 I hope you have a great weekend, Nicole!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find re-reading books is a discovery like no other. There are always so many things that you find the second (or third!) time around.
    Love this outfit, since there is nothing more fun than a themed outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jasmine, Transient WithdrawalApril 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

    Love love love these photos! I love that you draw so much inspiration from songs and literature! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this outfit! It's different with a mix of patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post, but the outfit and the written content. I'm amazed you read The Odyssey three times if you didn't like it the first time, however!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, I love that you're so passionate about that~ it's so adorable when you start freaking out about it. :D I need to re-read the Odyssey then, because the only time I had read it was for an English class. And I don't remember much of it from then. Look at you, inspiring me to read! :) You should be proud.

    These pictures are precious. I adore your tights and how your purse matches your shoes. And the sand! It looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you love Odysseus. I also love your polka-dot tights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. well, it's different but I like it!
    I like the panty a lot!♥
    xxxx

    fashionloversandmore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love the photo of you laughing in the wind. it's so genuine and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the last picture is just gorgeous. I can't find any other adjective for it: gorgeous. As you are.

    Life is a romantic poem

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!