Friday, August 24, 2012

Wild One

august 24 12


This week has been long and short at the same time. I've been getting back into the groove of daily life, thinking and thinking and then thinking again, having some of the best conversations, some mostly sleepless nights, and some of the biggest belly laughs. On my day off Wednesday, I wanted to a little bit of head clearing-upping, so I decided to drive up to a state park I hadn't been to before - Franklin Delano Roosevelt State Park. It was pretty lovely to walk around all of the fields and tree-shaded pathways. We searched and searched for a path to the lake, and when we finally found it, it didn't disappoint. I spent a while just sitting on the lone bench they'd placed beside it, watching the mostly-still reflection of the trees on the water surface, glancing over at the man and his golden dog playing fetch with a real stick. It was nice, but I couldn't fight the urge to drive a half hour further north, to Bear Mountain. I've talked about this place so many times on my blog now, that you may remember it. Honestly, the top of Bear Mountain is one of the places I feel most right, most at home. It was a relief to see those rocks and that tree-swept sky and that watchtower. Sitting on that rock ledge and just breathing and looking made me feel so much more at ease, even if just for a little while. I could have stayed there for an awfully long time, and right now I mostly wish I was back on that rock ledge, just listening and looking. I've never seen it at night. Guess I'll just have to make a trip back. If it wasn't an hour and a half drive away, I would probably be there at least once a week. It's weird to think how a place I didn't even know existed this time last year has become such a comfort to me. Hopefully someday I'll get to live somewhere where the mountains and forests aren't as far away as they are here.

august 24 5

august 24 1

august 24 4

august 24 2

august 24

august 24 10

august 24 11

august 24 8

august 24 7

august 24 6

Until tomorrow,
Nicole

7 comments:

  1. Perfect outfit for a mountain climb. :) I think the scenery is beautiful! It seems like a great place to sit and think. I end up being boring and just doing that at my house...i like this better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forests are beautiful! Unfortunately where I live in Canada there are not much forests or hills, let alone mountains. I live in the prairies where it's flat and canola fields all over. Boring. But your outfit isn't boring at all haha, very cute! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jasmine, Transient WithdrawalAugust 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

    I have that top except mine's blue! I love this cute and casual outfit Nicole--so perfect for a Summer day hike to clear your head :) These photos are just gorgeous! I'm always surprised when people post pictures of NY that aren't in the city because there's just so much more to that state than that one (however wonderful) city! Your mountains and forests are the equivalent to how I feel about beaches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, I'm happy to hear that you've found such a lovely place to just sit and ponder about things... I hope to find a little getaway for myself. :) It does seem quite perfect, and quiet, and all things gorgeous. Look at that viiiiew!


    PS) those shorts are reallyreallyreally cute on you. Need I say they make yer butt look fab? YEP I'M CHECKIN OUT UR CUTIE BOOTIE <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that national park is absolutely amazing, I wish we had ones like that nearer here. Your photos of it are beautiful too and you look darling in your casual outfit. Sounds like you found yourself a lovely pondering spot, shame it's so far but who's to say you won't find an equally great, closer one soon?
    http://dusanabotswana.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. nothing makes me happier than this post right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so, so much for taking some time to comment on my blog!